2 lb Italian sausage
2 lb ground beef
2 boxes of large pasta shells
1 32 oz carton of low fat Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 T italian seasoning
1 T fennel
12 oz frozen spinach with the water squeezed out
4 cloves garlic minced
2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper (chili pequin)
2 quarts of your favorite pasta sauce (ragu robusto works well)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
1. Put a large frying pan over medium heat, add the sausage, ground beef, italian seasoning, fennel, and crushed red peppers (depending how spicy you want it you can use as little or as much red pepper as you desire) and cook sausage thoroughly, breaking into very small pieces. Drain and add to large bowl.
2. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil. Add the shells and cook for 15 minutes. The shells will not be done completely. Drain the shells and run cold water over them.
3. In a large bowl combine the Ricotta cheese the shredded Italian cheese blend, garlic, basil and spinach then mix well.
4. Fill large ziplock bag with filling, snip 1/2 inch off corner of bag with kitchen shears (to make filling easier)
5. Take each pasta shell individually and stuff with filling, it will take approximately 3-4 tablespoons of the mixture for each shell. Lay the shells into the pan, open side up. Continue until the baking dish if full. Pour pasta sauce over the top of the shells. You will have enough ingredients to fill another pan so repeat the above steps.
6. Cover each baking dish in foil and place into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.