I took most of the morning to mix colors for this set, I wound up with 10 different colors including black and white, it was one too many (I never used the orange I made) and the 1 1/2 batches I made turned out to be way too much - I'm hoping to be able to re-use some of the colors for a couple other batches I've got this month.
As is obvious below, I really fell in love with the butterfly cutter, there are just so many opportunities for creativity and what was intended to be an accent to the flowers and leaves turned into a flock of random butterflies, some more realistic, some more stylized, and the occasional flower for them to pollinate.
There 's a lot of black required for them. The bodies were laid down in 2 parts with 20 second icing in an icing bottle (main body first, then head and thorax 30 minutes later.
On the wings, the black portions were done first with a pipe and flood approach using a #1 and eventually a #2 tip (the #1 was taking for-ev-er).
This is pipe and flood for the black with 15 second used for the blue, white and black accents using a wet/dry technique for the fill and wet/wet for the accents. Since I was using 15 seconds, I was able to get the bottom bits only blue without having to do a pipe and flood.
I like this green one for no really good reason other than it's a wet/wet design with 2 colors of green and white accents.
The red and black turned out to be one of my favorites, it's pipe and flood with the black, but because of the large red areas, the 15 second consistency worked well to fill, not a flat look, but still neat.
This is what happens when you fill small areas with 15 second icing. It turned out like little buttons and I wished I gone to the trouble of thinning another set to flood consistency.
The flowers are done with 15 second icing, centers laid down first, dried for an hour (less time would have worked fine, I just had other stuff to do) then the petals were laid down in groups of three, allowed to dry for 30 minutes and then the next 3 were done. I laid it on a bit thick, which led to the centers of some of the petals falling, not sure how to fix that other than laying down a thinner layer. Leaves are done in a light an dark green.